At the Flaine ski resort in France, a man has been charged with manslaughter for killing a five-year-old girl after crashing into her on a slope where she was learning to ski. With resorts selling more and more passes the slopes are simply overcrowded and understaffed leading to avoidable accidents like this with skiers flying through learning centers meant for beginners. The Sun reports:
A SKIER has been charged with the manslaughter of a five-year-old British girl in a deadly crash on the slopes at a resort in the Alps.
The girl, named locally as Ophélie, was in a lesson on the slopes when an adult is said to have crashed into her at high speed.
The little girl was airlifted to the hospital but tragically died before she arrived while still in the helicopter.
The horrific accident happened on Saturday at around 11 am in the ski resort of Flaine in France’s eastern Haute-Savoie department.
The 40-year-old suspect, who has not been identified, has been in custody in Bonnevile, eastern France.
Witnesses said they watched him skiing “at high speed” over “a slight bump” and then colliding with the child.
The five-year-old was taking a lesson on a Blue beginners’ slope in the resort.
An investigating source said: “The skier involved in the death has been indicted for manslaughter.
“He has been placed under judicial control and is specifically accused of a deliberate violation of safety obligations.”
The crime is punishable with up to five years in prison, and a fine equivalent to £62,000.
E.J. Smith - Your Survival Guy
Latest posts by E.J. Smith - Your Survival Guy (see all)
- Gale Warning During Newport’s Concours and Motor Week - October 3, 2022
- YOU LOOT, WE SHOOT: DeSantis Reminds Looters that Florida is a 2nd Amendment State - October 3, 2022
- RECORD GAS PRICE IN LA: What Happened to Falling Gas Prices? - October 3, 2022
- Survive and Thrive October 2022: Sink Your Teeth into These Bond Yields - October 1, 2022
- What You Start to See Is a Death Spiral - September 30, 2022