After spending a winter in their northern homes, retirees who normally head south for the winter, known as Snow Birds, can’t wait to get back into the sunshine. Clare Ansberry reports for The Wall Street Journal:
A growing number of people, many now vaccinated, expect to head south for the winter despite the Delta variant spread. About 90% of the estimated 1 million snowbirds who travel annually from Canada, say they will head for warmer areas compared with 30% last year, assuming the land border reopens to nonessential travel later this month. Land border restrictions remain in place through Sept. 21 and may be extended.
In Texas, a favorite destination for snowbirds from the upper Midwest, mobile-home parks are booking singers, dancers, comedians, Elvis impersonators and pickpocket showmen.
“We call them Wintertainers,” says Dan Brunson, who publishes Winter Texan Times, a free weekly distributed to mobile homes and RV parks in the Rio Grande Valley. Mr. Brunson says many parks canceled entertainment last year because of liability concerns as well as social distancing and crowd-size restrictions. “They’re planning for a recovery year,” he says.
E.J. Smith - Your Survival Guy
Latest posts by E.J. Smith - Your Survival Guy (see all)
- Warren Miller: If You Don’t Do It This Year, You’ll Be… - January 30, 2023
- Your Investment Focus Is the Foundation for Success - January 30, 2023
- CATO: Global Freedom Is in Sharp Decline - January 27, 2023
- TIME FOR A GONDOLA? Little Cottonwood Canyon Jammed with Traffic - January 27, 2023
- Biden Administration Destroying Retiree Fiduciary Protections - January 27, 2023