You know that no matter how you phrase it—lying or “breaking a pledge,”—when you tell someone you’re going to do one thing, and then you do the opposite, that’s wrong. With his push for higher taxes and more spending alongside Chuck Schumer, Joe Manchin has violated more than one pledge to his constituents. John Kartch of Americans for Tax Reform reports:
With his vote for the Senate tax-and-spend reconciliation bill, Sen. Joe Manchin has officially broken his word to West Virginia. When Manchin asked the voters of West Virginia to send him to Washington, he made two tax promises to the voters:
1. No tax hikes in a recession.
In October 2010, in a nationally televised debate, Manchin said: “I don’t think during a time of recession you mess with any of the taxes, or increase any taxes.”
2. No tax hikes at all until the government is running “efficient.”
In the same October 2010 debate, Manchin said: “I can’t look the people in West Virginia in the eye and ask them to pay a penny more until I know we’re running this government efficient.”
Action Line: It never feels good to be lied to. It feels worse when the lie results in you paying higher taxes and suffering more inflation. By joining Chuck Schumer in creating the misnamed Inflation Reduction Act of 2022, Joe Manchin has broken his promises to the American people, and to West Virginians. If your politicians lie to you like Joe Manchin, it’s time to vote the bums out or move to a better America. If you need encouragement for either, click here to subscribe to my free Survive & Thrive letter, and we’ll weather this storm together.
E.J. Smith - Your Survival Guy
Latest posts by E.J. Smith - Your Survival Guy (see all)
- Rome, Paris, U.S.A.: Global Crisis in Confidence - June 2, 2023
- Your Survival Guy’s Best Insider’s Guide to Rome - June 2, 2023
- What Is a Fiduciary Duty? Are You Working with a Fiduciary? - June 2, 2023
- Survive and Thrive June 2023: Your Survival Guy in Rome 30-Years A.B. (After Babson) - June 1, 2023
- Birth Rates in France Worst Since Post-WWII Era - June 1, 2023