“An American classic, an extraordinary testimony to the brokenness of the white working class but also its strengths. It’s one of the best books I’ve ever read…the most important book of 2016. You cannot understand what’s happening now without first reading J.D. Vance.” -Rod Dreher, The American Conservative
You get the point. If that doesn’t make you want to read #1 New York Times bestseller Hillbilly Elegy: A Memoir of a Family and Culture in Crisis, by J.D. Vance, then the title might. What got me to read it was a column in my local paper written by someone I tend to disagree with except for this time. He wrote that if you want to understand more about the voters that put Donald Trump in the White House, then read this book. And so I did.
I’ll have more for you about the book in my next post.
Read Part II here.
‘Hillbilly Elegy’ author on Trump voters
E.J. Smith - Your Survival Guy
Latest posts by E.J. Smith - Your Survival Guy (see all)
- Memorial Day Remembrance - May 25, 2020
- Words of Wisdom from Matunuck Oyster Bar’s Perry Raso - May 22, 2020
- Drumline Battle | Army vs Air Force - May 22, 2020
- “The Losses are Taking a Toll on Their Health” - May 21, 2020
- Robo-Advisors: When You Have a Lot More to Lose than Money - May 20, 2020