A few thoughts for you as a client/friend tells me life is good. Life hasn’t changed too much in retirement during the pandemic, he tells me. He laughed and commented that according to Clint Eastwood, you know you didn’t have much of a social life if the pandemic didn’t change it much.
- You read Amazon will stream NFL games. Yippee. What happens when your internet gets overloaded, and you miss the game-winning TD?
- Cash is king? Not buying it? Good. When was the last time the government created anything of value?
- I like high-quality short-term bonds mixed in with some high yield junk and sprinkled with some floating rate. Bond investing doesn’t have to be b-o-r-i-n-g.
- Writing stock options or playing golf? No brainer. Golf.
- Stop losses. Yes or no? No.
- Why? Because a stop loss isn’t a promise to sell at your price. It’s a promise to look for a buyer. There needs to be a buyer.
- It’s like visiting Stop & Shop. You’re the produce.
- When you can’t predict the future (if you can, you don’t need me, right?) then why rely on predictions with naked calls?
- Being right once is hard enough.
- A client in Louisiana in her 90s misses her lunches with her lady friends. She said she’s ready to get back out there. She’s going to sell her motor coach/van, though—no one to travel with.
- This time last year, we were heading out to Telluride, CO. Had to come back after three days because of some virus in China.
- This ski season, resorts are doing the best they can.
- Mad River Glen has an old, single-person chair. As a reader in the WSJ comments noted: That’s some forward-thinking.
- Remember the Poma lifts? Where going up was as challenging as coming down?
- How about the T-Bar? Good luck if you had an older sibling trying to knock you off.
- How about 70% tax rates? Isn’t that what savers are paying for lost income thanks to the Fed’s low interest rate absurdity? Of course, it’s a tax. Paid by all SAVERS (deferred gratification is supposed to be REWARDED).
- Talked with a child psychologist client/friend yesterday who reluctantly told me business is booming.
- Open up America.
- Enough already.
Action Line: I’ve heard many inspiring stories from clients and friends throughout the pandemic. I can’t wait to hear yours. Send this to someone you’ve been thinking about. We’re in this together.
E.J. Smith - Your Survival Guy
Latest posts by E.J. Smith - Your Survival Guy (see all)
- CALLED OUT: Omicron Variant Panic Puts Investors in a Corner - November 29, 2021
- These Companies Can’t Make Enough Ammunition - November 29, 2021
- BlackRock Has Two Sets of Rules for China and America - November 29, 2021
- 101 Reasons to Move to New Hampshire - November 28, 2021
- “Five Decades Later Writing to You from Old Town, Key West”-Dick Young - November 27, 2021