The next time you’re in Boston and craving oysters, go to the Island Creek Oyster Bar and ask for “the Peter’s.
The Peter’s Points from Onset, MA have quite the cult following around here. We continue to receive calls asking “when are the Peter’s going to be back?” Well, folks, the water is starting to warm up and we have some available for the foreseeable future!
If you haven’t jumped on the Peter’s Point bandwagon yet, these oysters are mossy and full of salt and mineral flavors with a remarkable green shell. They are grown in Onset on the Cape Cod Canal by Dennis Pittsley and Bob Tourigny. Bob and Dennis were one of the first farms ICO started working with and have one of the largest grants (about 23 acres) in Massachusetts.
They have some pretty unique techniques; the oysters are all hand harvested with a rake, and the crew uses a “window box” (see below) so they can see the oysters sitting on the bottom of the bay floor. As Dennis wades through the water to harvest, he puts the oysters into baskets floating on the water’s surface with the help of inner tubes. Pretty neat, eh?
Check out a few pictures below of the grow out process, and check ’em out at shop.islandcreekoysters.com.
The ICO Crew
Read more about ICO here.
E.J. Smith - Your Survival Guy
Latest posts by E.J. Smith - Your Survival Guy (see all)
- My Nephew Graduates, and I’m Larry the Cable Guy - June 5, 2023
- California Is Driving These Wealthy Businesses Out of the State - June 5, 2023
- Rome, Paris, U.S.A.: Global Crisis in Confidence - June 2, 2023
- Your Survival Guy’s Best Insider’s Guide to Rome - June 2, 2023
- What Is a Fiduciary Duty? Are You Working with a Fiduciary? - June 2, 2023