Your Survival Guy’s wondering about farming, city living, Trump, midterms, and Sen. Joe Manchin. Let’s get into this.
- What we need more of from West Virginia is less Joe Manchin and more Riley Moore. State Treasurer Riley Moore is fighting ESG (See here, here, and here to get an idea about the ESG threat) with a Restricted Financial Institutions list saying, “Any institution with policies aimed at weakening our energy industries, tax base and job market has a clear conflict of interest in handling taxpayer dollars.” The list so far: BlackRock, Goldman Sachs, JPMorgan, Morgan Stanley, and Wells Fargo.
- Is Trump hurting or helping Republicans? What looked like a big red wave for the midterms is losing steam. It’s not a guaranteed layup anymore, and in times like these, there needs to be a unified effort to kick the bums out. I’m not seeing that. Are you?
- What’s going on in your neck of the woods? At the state and local levels, pensions are eroding life on Main Street America. Underfunded, over-promised, and underperforming means higher taxes because there’s no stomach for reform. It’s all about politicians getting reelected and the rob-Peter-to-pay-Paul partnership between public teachers’ unions and politicians.
- On Your Survival Guy’s latest trip to Paris, one observation was the expanding No Go Zones and increasing security in the most well-protected areas near the Presidential Palace, museums, upscale streets/neighborhoods, and palace hotels. That’s where the government money goes, and the future of American cities will likely be the same. Certain areas will be protected like fine art while others are left to rot.
- I hate to say it, but the nicest parts of big cities may be the place to be in the future. I love the idea of being a farmer on a thousand-acre spread, but I don’t farm. A nice one-two punch might be city living with a rural escape and some international travel in between. For me, I’m never selling in Newport, though I could live in certain areas of Boston, and I love our cabin in New Hampshire. What about you?
- It’s an exciting time to be in Newport with Paul Simon and Joni Mitchell’s surprise appearances at the Folk Festival. Today begins the Jazz Fest.
- Inflation? It means different things to different people. You can be an inflation fighter in your own way. You didn’t get to where you are with your head in the sand. Let’s keep in touch.
Action Line: How’s your lazy cash? Is it taking up too much space in your house? Is it time to let it go out in the world and do something with its life? The bond game is alive and well. Let’s get through this together. I believe in you.
The following two tabs change content below.
E.J. Smith - Your Survival Guy
E.J. Smith is Founder of YourSurvivalGuy.com, Managing Director at Richard C. Young & Co., Ltd., a Managing Editor of Richardcyoung.com, and Editor-in-Chief of Youngresearch.com. His focus at all times is on preparing clients and readers for “Times Like These.” E.J. graduated from Babson College in Wellesley, Massachusetts, with a B.S. in finance and investments. In 1995, E.J. began his investment career at Fidelity Investments in Boston before joining Richard C. Young & Co., Ltd. in 1998. E.J. has trained at Sig Sauer Academy in Epping, NH. His first drum set was a 5-piece Slingerland with Zildjians. He grew-up worshiping Neil Peart (RIP) of the band Rush, and loves the song Tom Sawyer—the name of his family’s boat, a Grady-White Canyon 306. He grew up in Mattapoisett, MA, an idyllic small town on the water near Cape Cod. He spends time in Newport, RI and Bartlett, NH—both as far away from Wall Street as one could mentally get. The Newport office is on a quiet, tree lined street not far from the harbor and the log cabin in Bartlett, NH, the “Live Free or Die” state, sits on the edge of the White Mountain National Forest. He enjoys spending time in Key West and Paris. Please get in touch with E.J. at firstname.lastname@example.org To sign up for my free monthly Survive & Thrive letter, click here.
Latest posts by E.J. Smith - Your Survival Guy (see all)
- Rome, Paris, U.S.A.: Global Crisis in Confidence - June 2, 2023
- Your Survival Guy’s Best Insider’s Guide to Rome - June 2, 2023
- What Is a Fiduciary Duty? Are You Working with a Fiduciary? - June 2, 2023
- Survive and Thrive June 2023: Your Survival Guy in Rome 30-Years A.B. (After Babson) - June 1, 2023
- Birth Rates in France Worst Since Post-WWII Era - June 1, 2023