There are only so many moments in a day, and if every one of them becomes a “teachable moment” about the values of diversity and equity, how many moments are left for kids to learn math, science, English, and history?
Parents have slowly come to the realization that their children are being taught a lot more than “readin’, writin’, and ‘rithmatic,’ in school these days, that is, when they’re not simply trying to breathe through their mandated suffocation devices.
You may have heard that private schools stayed open through COVID. But there isn’t a more woke establishment in education than private schools. They rival even the most progressive universities in their wokeness.
Look at what one of Rhode Island’s most expensive and “woke” private schools has done to Valentine’s Day for little kids. Tyler Dumont reports for WJAR:
PROVIDENCE, R.I. (WJAR) — A debate has erupted within a private school community in Providence, Rhode Island over new guidelines for Valentine’s Day cards.
The guidelines, issued via email last Friday, included a recommendation that families avoid buying cards that are specifically for boys or girls, and cards that portray only white people.
The email message, shared with NBC 10 News by a parent at the school, was sent last Friday by Osvaldo Jose Marti, head of the Moses Brown Lower School, and stated the following:
“As we approach the month of February, we are writing to share some guidelines for the selection and exchange of Valentines in the Lower School. If your child wishes to bring cards for classmates, please consider these recommendations, which we make in an effort to promote kindness and inclusivity within our community:
- If your child would like to bring cards for classmates (this is entirely optional), please bring a card for every other child in the pod or in the grade.
- Please coach your child if purchasing commercially produced cards to select something that does not feel ‘gender normative’ (with separate ‘boy cards’ vs. ‘girl cards,’ for instance.)
- Also, consider talking to your child about avoiding cards that portray only White human characters. Representation matters and our students of color also deserve to see themselves in some of the cards they receive, unless we can find cards without people pictured at all.
- Valentine’s Day celebration at the Lower School level should have a focus on friendship and fun. Please join us in trying to avoid the romantic crush themes that can dominate the day for older students.”
In the days since the email was sent, reaction within the community has been mixed.
“The reality is, there is males and females and transgender, etc., etc.,” said Roger Carlsten. “So, if a kid can identify that and relate to it, address it appropriately – there’s nothing wrong with to a girl, from a boy.”
Carlsten added he felt the institution was “doing the right thing” by promoting inclusivity for all students.
NAACP Providence President Jim Vincent told NBC 10 News he feels there is a larger issue: a lack of diverse options students have to pick from on store shelves.
“I don’t think you can tell people exactly what they can buy and not buy. You can strongly encourage, and I think that that’s fine,” Vincent said. “But I think the issue is more: are there cards that are reflective of the diversity that we have?”
Moses Brown has not responded to NBC 10’s requests for comment.
Multiple parents who requested not to be identified told NBC 10 they disagreed with the administration’s guidelines.
With all the attention children are asked to spend on not offending the others around them, one wonders if they ever have a chance to learn math or science.
Action Line: Some states have begun efforts to protect children from woke school initiatives. These include many of Your Survival Guy’s 2022 Super States. If your state’s politicians and education officials are putting their woke ideologies ahead of your child’s learning, it may be time to look for a better America. It’s time to get serious about how you want to live your life. If you need an extra push to help make the decisions you need to succeed, I can help. Click here to sign up for my free monthly Survive & Thrive letter, and I’ll help you break inertia and find the place you and your family deserve. But only if you’re serious.
E.J. Smith - Your Survival Guy
Latest posts by E.J. Smith - Your Survival Guy (see all)
- Stop America’s Zombie Apocalypse before It Starts - December 1, 2023
- Survive and Thrive November 2023: A Word or Two about Your Survival Guy’s Money - December 1, 2023
- Small Government Just Works - December 1, 2023
- Locking In a Generational Opportunity in Fixed Income - November 30, 2023
- RIP Charlie Munger: Keeping It Simple Never Goes out of Style - November 30, 2023