There has been a lot written about the demise of the American middle class, but Dan Mitchell points out to readers of his International Liberty blog that the story is not all that it seems. He writes:
Some folks on the left like to claim that the middle class is shrinking and that therefore we need bigger government and more redistribution to protect these Americans from falling into poverty.
Well, the first half of that statement is true. The middle class is becoming smaller. But here’s the good news. As I noted in 2015 when sharing some data from Pew, the middle class is shrinking because more and more households are earning six-figure incomes.
Now we have more confirmation. Courtesy of Mark Perry of the American Enterprise Institute, here’s a nice chart based on data from the Census Bureau’s new report on income and poverty in the United States.
Read more here.
E.J. Smith - Your Survival Guy
Latest posts by E.J. Smith - Your Survival Guy (see all)
- Investing Mistakes to Avoid: #10 Picked Off First - June 9, 2023
- HOUSING CRISIS: California Could Face Mortgage Default Tsunami - June 9, 2023
- Why Is Biden Sacrificing Mining Dominance to the Chinese? - June 9, 2023
- RAGE Gauge June: Remember When You Were A Kid and Money Was Free? - June 8, 2023
- Your Retirement Life: Striped Bass Fishing off Block Island - June 8, 2023