Boston’s Don’t Look Back was mine. A Christmas gift from my Aunt Susan (thanks to the help of cousins Karen and Kim).
You want to listen to Don’t Look Back with headphones so you can crank it up loud.
Imagine sitting on your bedroom floor with big ‘ole headphones cranked up so loud you have no idea that your friend is breathing over you, and he scares the crap out of you when you turn around, like my friend Matt would do—that loud.
The opening guitar lick is unmistakable with the often forgotten, and certainly underappreciated tambourine leading into the opening guitar solo.
Don’t Look Back is a classic rock song you hear in the car. You’ve heard it so many times, but it’s not always listened to at the volume it deserves, especially when they break it down at about minute 2:18.
The quarter notes on the bass drum for a measure, then half notes for another, sound like a heart beating for the first time.
Then the crescendo of bass drum quarter notes to sixteenths on the snare lead into the guitar line that lights up an explosive and iconic riff that helped define the late 70s and early 80s. And then we’re in guitar solo heaven with drummer Sib Hashian’s relaxed ride cymbal and velvety crashes keeping it all together.
Play it loud, preferably with headphones, and enjoy.
E.J. Smith - Your Survival Guy
Latest posts by E.J. Smith - Your Survival Guy (see all)
- POWER DOWN, PREP UP: Rise To Meet the Challenge - October 27, 2021
- BLACKROCK’S BITCOIN-ESG PARADOX: You Can’t Have It All - October 27, 2021
- TUCKER EXPLAINS: Where’s Joe? - October 27, 2021
- DESPERATE: Terry McAuliffe Buying SOROS-BACKED Fake News Smear Campaign - October 27, 2021
- Is Your “Wealth Adviser” a Fiduciary? Here’s How to Find Out - October 26, 2021