UPDATE 10.26.2020: RIP Jerry Jeff Walker, Mr. Bojangles, who helped a young Jimmy Buffett follow his dreams.
Originally posted on April 26, 2019.
Make sure you have a chance to appreciate where you’re going and where you’ve been.
Jimmy Buffett put on a pop-up show Monday in Austin, TX in preparation for his summer tour “I Don’t Know”. A client of mine is driving up to Nashville, TN for tonight’s sold-out show at the Ascend Amphitheatre. Here’s a great video of Buffett and Jerry Jeff Walker. Walker (Mr. Bojangles) was the person who gave Buffett refuge in Coconut Grove, FL after he fled Nashville. It was in Walker’s Packard that they drove to Key West for Buffett’s first visit. It was there where they met Phil Clark, the “Pirate” in “A Pirate Looks at 40.”
The real pirate’s name was Phillip Clark. He was one of the most unforgettable characters I met when I first lived in Key West, back in the days before it turned into a boutique. When I finished the song, I knew I had done him justice, and it is a fitting eulogy to an old friend. He died a few years ago under an alias, washed up on a beach near San Francisco. They flew his body back to Key West where some of his ashes were scattered at sea, and some still sit above the cash register in the Full Moon Saloon.
E.J. Smith - Your Survival Guy
Latest posts by E.J. Smith - Your Survival Guy (see all)
- Market Down 900 Points and Here’s what YOU Told Me - October 27, 2020
- Trump’s Momentum and the Liars Protecting Hunter Biden - October 27, 2020
- How to Treat Your Money (Hint: Not Like this Guy) - October 26, 2020
- Your Survival Guy’s Saturday Lunch Surprise You Won’t Believe - October 26, 2020
- Jimmy Buffett’s: A Pirate Looks at 40 - October 26, 2020