Let’s Celebrate WORK this Labor Day Weekend
Mike Rowe’s been championing the workers of Main Street America for as long as I can remember. I remember like it was yesterday watching his show “Dirty Jobs” with my kids and how he was relatable to us. We had talks about all kinds of odd jobs and how they make the world go ‘round. When it was time to rake leaves, they’d put on their tiny gloves and were ready to “get to work, Dad!” What kid, when they’re little, doesn’t want to go outside and help Dad work? Sure it stretched the work out longer than it should have taken, but I wouldn’t trade that memory for anything.
Action Line: Share Mike’s S.W.E.A.T Pledge with someone you love and remind them they don’t need to clean the yard in an hour, but you’d like it done by the end of the day if possible. Let’s talk about your lifetime of hard work. Contact me here.
Mike Rowe’s S.W.E.A.T. Pledge:
Skills and Work Ethic Aren’t Taboo
- I believe that I have won the greatest lottery of all time. I am alive. I walk the Earth. I live in America. Above all things, I am grateful.
- I believe that I am entitled to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. Nothing more. I also understand that “happiness” and the “pursuit of happiness” are not the same thing.
- I believe there is no such thing as a “bad job.” I believe that all jobs are opportunities, and it’s up to me to make the best of them.
- I do not “follow my passion.” I bring it with me. I believe that any job can be done with passion and enthusiasm.
- I deplore debt and do all I can to avoid it. I would rather live in a tent and eat beans than borrow money to pay for a lifestyle I can’t afford.
- I believe that my safety is my responsibility. I understand that being in “compliance” does not necessarily mean I’m out of danger.
- I believe the best way to distinguish myself at work is to show up early, stay late, and cheerfully volunteer for every crappy task there is.
- I believe the most annoying sounds in the world are whining and complaining. I will never make them. If I am unhappy in my work, I will either find a new job or find a way to be happy.
- I believe that my education is my responsibility and absolutely critical to my success. I am resolved to learn as much as I can from whatever source is available to me. I will never stop learning and understand that library cards are free.
- I believe that I am a product of my choices – not my circumstances. I will never blame anyone for my shortcomings or the challenges I face. And I will never accept the credit for something I didn’t do.
- I understand the world is not fair, and I’m OK with that. I do not resent the success of others.
- I believe that all people are created equal. I also believe that all people make choices. Some choose to be lazy. Some choose to sleep in. I choose to work my butt off.
On my honor, I hereby affirm the above statements to be an accurate summation of my personal worldview. I promise to live by them.
P.S. College isn’t for everyone, and it’s not fair everyone is stuck flippin’ the bill with Biden’s college loan forgiveness.
E.J. Smith - Your Survival Guy
Latest posts by E.J. Smith - Your Survival Guy (see all)
- RAGE Gauge June: Remember When You Were A Kid and Money Was Free? - June 8, 2023
- Your Retirement Life: Striped Bass Fishing off Block Island - June 8, 2023
- Artificial Intelligence or Four-Year Olds? - June 8, 2023
- Forbes Global 2000: The Bigger They Are, the Harder They Fall? - June 8, 2023
- Starving for Fixed Income? I Can Help - June 7, 2023