Your comfort level as an investor should be like your comfort level sharing the water with sharks: somewhere between scared to jump in for fear of “Jaws” or cool as a cucumber like Ocean Ramsey.
Look, our mind plays terrible tricks on us, whether it’s fear of sharks or markets. According to AccuWeather, the odds of getting struck by lightning are 1 in 500,000 versus the odds of being attacked by a shark, which are 1 in 3,750,000. But when you see the movie “Jaws” your mind doesn’t care about odds. Emotions set in, and forget it.
Also, if you’ve ever been on a boat during a lightning storm, you know how unsettling that can be. (Side Note: Your Survival Guy’s boat was struck by lightning. It’s a sensitive topic for me. You can read about that here).
Action Line: Emotions shipwreck portfolios. Work with someone who’s seen it all. I’m here when you’re ready to jump in.
E.J. Smith - Your Survival Guy
Latest posts by E.J. Smith - Your Survival Guy (see all)
- Wellington and Wellesley Funds Not Managed by Vanguard - September 22, 2023
- Remembering Jimmy Buffett: The Oldest Surfer on the Beach - September 22, 2023
- The Folly of Windmills from Nowhere USA - September 22, 2023
- NYC Rolling Out the Robocops - September 22, 2023
- Will the Fed Hold Up Its End of the Bargain? - September 21, 2023