In Part I told you how I got into real estate and I haven’t looked back since. How can you, a young Millennial, get started?
Get creative! Figure out a way to come up with a down payment. I did. I borrowed from my dad. But what if that isn’t an option for you? Well, keep moving forward. Get creative.
The best way I have found to be creative is to speak directly with the decision maker. It’s the best way to find out the real story.
During my search for a multi-family property in Marlborough, MA I scoured the classified ads with a red pen. I came across an intriguing listing 40 minutes further west and decided to check it out. It was a “for sale by owner”.
I met the owner, a mid-60s aged gentleman. After walking through the property he offered to show me some other properties he’d be willing to sell. He basically owned the town. I got a master’s degree in real estate spending three hours driving around with him and listening.
We stopped by his house so I could meet his wife. He showed me their RV, their swimming pool, their ATVs. They were living where they wanted to live, travelling the country, and spending time with their grandchildren.
A genuine definition of success.
I know he would have worked with me.
But the location of the town was too far from my office.
Nevertheless, I learned a ton from him.
To wrap up our night, he told me he started out with n-o-t-h-i-n-g.
But HE STARTED.
And sometimes that’s all it takes to get you moving in the right direction.
E.J. Smith - Your Survival Guy
Latest posts by E.J. Smith - Your Survival Guy (see all)
- Locking In a Generational Opportunity in Fixed Income - November 30, 2023
- RIP Charlie Munger: Keeping It Simple Never Goes out of Style - November 30, 2023
- Explosion in Gun Ownership Creates Difficulties for Progressives - November 30, 2023
- It’s California vs. Florida in the Big State Debate - November 29, 2023
- Shiffrin Brings It Home with World Cup Win at Killington - November 29, 2023