Last week I wrote to you about President Trump’s executive order on preparing for an electromagnetic pulse attack. Here’s the ugly reality. The government needs to either privatize the nation’s electric grid or get to work securing it. The grid is woefully exposed to the risks of an EMP attack or a solar flare. Lloyds of London estimates power outages of two years! The Washington Examiner reported in 2013:
Dubbed the Secure High-voltage Infrastructure for Electricity from Lethal Damage Act, the legislation would push the federal government to install grid-saving devices such as surge protectors to protect against an attack.
“It is critical that we protect our major transformers from cascading destruction. The Shield Act encourages industry to develop standards necessary to protect our electric infrastructure against both natural and man-made EMP events,” said Rep. Trent Franks, the Arizona Republican who is offering up the bipartisan bill.
Electromagnetic pulse, or EMP, has come into focus because of fears the sun is pushing out unusually big solar flares that can disrupt the electric grid. Defense officials are also worried about a terrorist attack, possibly in the form of a small nuclear bomb exploded overhead.
“This is serious stuff,” said former Pentagon official Frank Gaffney, who heads the Center for Security Policy. But, he added, there is a growing bipartisan consensus to protect the electric grid.
Any EMP attack could be damaging, said Gaffney. He cited a new Lloyds of London report that determined that the area from Washington, D.C., to New York could be without electricity for up to two years in a major solar flare-up.
Read more here.
E.J. Smith - Your Survival Guy
Latest posts by E.J. Smith - Your Survival Guy (see all)
- Buying A Boat: Who’s Looking Out for You? - August 12, 2022
- Corporate Borrowers Giving Up on the ESG Market - August 12, 2022
- Even the ACLU Hates Gavin Newsom’s New Gun Control Law - August 12, 2022
- Your Survival Guy’s Favorite Number is 72: Here’s Why - August 11, 2022
- WHOLE FOODS CEO: “Socialists Are Taking Over” - August 11, 2022