Don’t be caught unprepared in the cold or snow. Here are a few basic recommendations from AccuWeather you should keep in mind during the winter months.
At Home or Work:
1. Working flashlight 2. A charged cell phone 3. Battery powered radio or television 4. Extra food, water and medicine 5. First Aid Supplies 6. Heating fuel (or turn up the heat prior to the storm if your house uses electrical heat) 7. Emergency heating source 8. Fire extinguishers 9. Carbon monoxide and smoke detectors
On a Farm:
1. Move all animals to an enclosed shelter 2. Bring extra feed to nearby feeding areas 3. Have an extra water supply easily available
In a Vehicle:
1. Full or near full gas tank 2. Let a friend or relative know your predicted arrival time 3. A charged cell phone 4. Extra food and water 5. Extra gasoline for emergency fuel
At Home or in a Building:1. Stay inside 2. Close off unneeded rooms to save heat 3. Stuff towels or rags in cracks underneath doors to conserve heat 4. Cover the windows at night 5. Eat and drink to prevent dehydration 6. Wear layers of loose-fitting, light-weight and warm clothing
If Caught Outside:1. Find a dry shelter immediately 2. Cover all exposed body parts
If Caught Outdoors Without Shelter:1. Prepare a lean-to, wind break, or snow-cave for protection against the wind 2. Build a fire for heat and attention purposes 3. Place rocks around the fire to absorb and reflect the heat 4. Do not eat snow straight off the ground, melt it first.
If Stranded in a Vehicle:1. Stay inside your vehicle 2. Run the motor for ten minutes each hour 3. Crack the windows to avoid carbon monoxide poisoning 4. Make sure the exhaust pipe is not blocked 5. Tie a colored cloth to your antenna or door 6. Raise the hood after the snow stops falling 7. Exercise to keep warm and keep your blood flowing.
E.J. Smith - Your Survival Guy
Latest posts by E.J. Smith - Your Survival Guy (see all)
- You Aren’t Getting These Yields from Your Bank Account - February 7, 2023
- What Your Survival Guy Invested in Today - February 6, 2023
- You Invest, They Win: FTX Edition - February 6, 2023
- Your Retirement Life: Adventure Awaits - February 3, 2023
- Early Advice from Her Dad on Tipping at Charlie Trotter’s - February 2, 2023