In his book, The Second World Wars, Victor Davis Hanson takes some time to explain that the three great holocausts of the twentieth century were all rooted in the World Wars, and driven by ideologues: Hitler, Stalin (and Lenin before him) and Mao. He writes:
The Soviet Union entered the war and then the democratic Western alliance after killing perhaps ten million of its own without foreign intervention or even much global censure during the so-called Red Terror and Great Purge following World War I, and the collectivizations and ensuing famines of 1932-1933. With near impunity, Hitler slaughtered six million Jews in the heart of Eastern Europe—the vast majority of them in occupied territory of the Third Reich as it was collapsing, with the Allies closing in on both fronts and their aircraft with near complete control of the skies. Mao Zedong, who came to power after the liberation of China from the Japanese, systematically murdered and starved to death perhaps forty to seventy million Chinese in concentration camps, purges, famines, the Great Leap Forward, and the Cultural Revolution, beginning not long after the war and not ending until the 1970s. World War II and its aftermath were variously linked to these three great holocausts of the twentieth century.
Some sixty million people died in WWII, and many of them weren’t on battlefields. They died in these great massacres of humanity.
E.J. Smith - Your Survival Guy
Latest posts by E.J. Smith - Your Survival Guy (see all)
- CATO: Global Freedom Is in Sharp Decline - January 27, 2023
- TIME FOR A GONDOLA? Little Cottonwood Canyon Jammed with Traffic - January 27, 2023
- Biden Administration Destroying Retiree Fiduciary Protections - January 27, 2023
- 4 Life Changing Words for Your Survival Guy: “You Should Try This” - January 26, 2023
- Anti-Carbon Crusaders in Davos Talk ESG and OPM - January 25, 2023