The poor people of Puerto Rico endure more suffering of unimaginable consequence. Luis Valentin Ortiz reports for Reuters:
Puerto Rico’s power grid crept back to service on Wednesday after it was shut down entirely as a safety measure on Tuesday amid a storm of earthquakes including the most powerful to strike the Caribbean island in 102 years.
The temblors including one of magnitude 6.4 killed at least one person and flattened homes across the southern coast, provoking a state of emergency on the island of 3 million people and the activation of the National Guard.
Nearly 500,000 of the island’s 1.5 million customers had service on Wednesday morning, up from 100,000 the night before, and the island was generating about 542 megawatts of electricity, the power authority AEE said, still short of the demand of some 2,000 megawatts.
The large Costa Sur plant suffered severe damage and remained out of service, though Governor Wanda Vazquez said on Tuesday power should be restored to most of the island within 48 hours provided there were no more earthquakes.
Puerto Ricans endured lengthy power outages in 2017 following devastating Hurricane Maria, one of a series of natural and man-made disasters to afflict the U.S. territory in recent years. The island is also going through bankruptcy and its former governor resigned amid a political scandal and massive street protests last year.
Read more here.
You have read extensively about both the natural disaster woes and the financial troubles of Puerto Rico here on YourSurvivalGuy.com. The people of Puerto Rico are suffering not only major threats to their personal security, but also to their financial security. As I wrote nearly two years ago, Puerto Rico is a real-life worst-case scenario. Read more about the unfortunate plight of the people of Puerto Rico here:
- Hurricane Maria Death Toll in Puerto Rico: Deadlier than 9-11
- Puerto Rico: Self Reliance is the Only Way
- Blackout: The Lights are Out in Puerto Rico
- Puerto Rico: A Survival Case Study
- Puerto Rico: A Real Life Worst Case Scenario
- Bond and Pension Struggle in Puerto Rico
- Puerto Rico Bond Default?
E.J. Smith - Your Survival Guy
Latest posts by E.J. Smith - Your Survival Guy (see all)
- Your Survival Guy: Emerging Food and Energy Crisis - July 26, 2021
- Bogle Warned: 800 lb. Gorillas & Greener Pastures - July 26, 2021
- USA’s William Shaner Wins Gold in 10-Meter Air Rifle - July 26, 2021
- Are You Maintaining Situational Awareness? - July 26, 2021
- CNN Calls for Segregating the Unvaccinated - July 26, 2021