In his State of the Union speech on February 5, President Trump told Americans that “America will never be a socialist country.”
Working hard to change that is Virginia State House delegate Lee Carter, a self described democratic socialist, who is attempting to eliminate the state’s protections for workers.
Carter wants to repeal Virginia’s Right to Work laws, allowing currently free employees in Virginia to be forced into unionization against their will. Rodney Robinson reports on Carter’s plan at the Associated Press:
The General Assembly’s self-described socialist member is sponsoring legislation to repeal the state’s right-to-work law, which says employees can’t be forced to join a labor union.
Del. Lee Carter, a democratic socialist inspired by U.S. Sen. Bernie Sanders, has filed House Bill 1806, which could force workers in Virginia to become union members and pay union dues as a condition of their employment.
Virginia is among 27 right-to-work states — a fact that business leaders often point to with pride. Carter’s bill aims to change that.
In right-to-work states, a workplace where employees are represented by a union is considered an “open shop”: People can work there without joining the union, and they can cancel their union membership at any time.
I have written many times about the benefits states gain when they adopt Right to Work laws. Here’s a sample:
- Right to Work South Carolina is Flooded in Jobs
- Thankful Missouri Citizens Now Have the Right to Work
- Right to Work in 2017
- The Clear Value of the Right-to-Work
- Corporations Shower Right-to-Work Kentucky with Investment
Read more here.
E.J. Smith - Your Survival Guy
Latest posts by E.J. Smith - Your Survival Guy (see all)
- Only You Know How Much Gold You Should Own - January 25, 2021
- Unmasking Heath and Human Services Secretary Nominee Xavier Becerra - January 25, 2021
- Your Personal Safety: Concealed-Carry How to Carry Your Freedom - January 22, 2021
- Your Retirement Life: Meet Your BMW Club Racing Program Director - January 22, 2021
- PANDEMIC Pushes Military-Grade Surveillance on Americans Like YOU - January 21, 2021