Your Survival Guy’s on-the-ground discussions with locals in France have turned up a mixed bag of the opinions reflected in polls on the issues of energy and inflation. France’s energy worker unions are on strike for higher wages just as the country is dealing with high inflation and potential shortages of energy. There is no easy solution when the problem of green energy faces the reality of higher prices. Reuters reports:
A nationwide strike on Thursday disrupted the French energy sector, taking a large chunk of the nuclear production offline, as workers push for a pay hike amid rising tensions between unions and the government over a planned pensions reform.
“Thousands of workers are on strike today,” said Philippe Martinez, chief of the hard-left CGT union as he attended a protest march in Paris along with several thousand people, many of them waving red labour union flags.
“This is a message to the government but also to the Medef,” he added, referring to France’s main employer association.
Thursday’s walkouts came amid a concerted call by some unions for company bosses to raise wages due to high inflation. They followed months of individual strike actions across business sectors including transportation, retail and education.
More than 60% of France’s refining capacity was off line due to strikes and unfulfilled maintenance plans. Strikes also hit TotalEnergies (TTEF.PA) refineries for a third day.
A 24-hour strike by electricity union FNME hit France’s already stretched power grid.
The strike, heeded by roughly a fifth of the workforce, reduced nuclear power generation by 3.5 gigawatts (GW) by 1245 GMT and by 470 megawatts (MW) at hydropower stations – an overall 9% reduction in production capacity, according to utility EDF.
Action Line: Have you secured your family’s energy supply? What happens if there’s a strike in the U.S.? Do you have a wood stove or fireplace or some other form of independent heating for your home? The end of the time to make the necessary preparations is quickly approaching. Winter is coming, and prices are high. If you need the motivation to make the right choices for your family, click here to subscribe to my free monthly Survive & Thrive letter, and I’ll push you to beat inertia and achieve your goals.
Read more here:
- Elites Treating Europe’s Energy Crisis Like a Good Thing
- GREAT RESET: WEF Contributor Says COVID Was a Test
- THE GREAT RESET: A Plan to Change the World by Destroying Its Economy
- Biden Willing to Risk Freezing New England to Heat Europe
- France Working Hard to Recover from COVID Lockdowns
E.J. Smith - Your Survival Guy
Latest posts by E.J. Smith - Your Survival Guy (see all)
- Rome, Paris, U.S.A.: Global Crisis in Confidence - June 2, 2023
- Your Survival Guy’s Best Insider’s Guide to Rome - June 2, 2023
- What Is a Fiduciary Duty? Are You Working with a Fiduciary? - June 2, 2023
- Survive and Thrive June 2023: Your Survival Guy in Rome 30-Years A.B. (After Babson) - June 1, 2023
- Birth Rates in France Worst Since Post-WWII Era - June 1, 2023