You know the name Eric Carle if you have kids or grandkids. His books were a big part of our book collection when my kids were little. That’s why this article caught my eye. And how moving I found this quote from the article about a book I read out loud a thousand times: The Very Hungry Caterpillar.
Jeffrey Trachtenberg reports on Carle’s view of why The Very Hungry Caterpillar has been such a hit with kids for so many years. He writes:
In a YouTube video released in January, Mr. Carle said it took him a long time to understand why the title has sold so well before he concluded that “children need hope.” Children, he said, see the caterpillar’s metamorphosis into a beautiful butterfly as confirmation that they can achieve their own aspirations.
Some of Carle’s other well-known titles include the Brown Bear series (with Bill Martin Jr.), The Grouchy Ladybug, and From Head to Toe.
Read more here.
E.J. Smith - Your Survival Guy
Latest posts by E.J. Smith - Your Survival Guy (see all)
- Your Survival Guy Emergency: Engines Won’t Start, We’re Drifting into the Rocks - July 10, 2020
- Grateful Dead: Eyes of the World - July 10, 2020
- You’re Telling Me about 8% and Pickleball - July 9, 2020
- Here’s What You’re Telling Me after Your Fourth of July Holiday - July 9, 2020
- Sportswriter Jason Whitlock on “Tucker Carlson Tonight” - July 8, 2020