You know the name Eric Carle if you have kids or grandkids. His books were a big part of our book collection when my kids were little. That’s why this article caught my eye. And how moving I found this quote from the article about a book I read out loud a thousand times: The Very Hungry Caterpillar.
Jeffrey Trachtenberg reports on Carle’s view of why The Very Hungry Caterpillar has been such a hit with kids for so many years. He writes:
In a YouTube video released in January, Mr. Carle said it took him a long time to understand why the title has sold so well before he concluded that “children need hope.” Children, he said, see the caterpillar’s metamorphosis into a beautiful butterfly as confirmation that they can achieve their own aspirations.
Some of Carle’s other well-known titles include the Brown Bear series (with Bill Martin Jr.), The Grouchy Ladybug, and From Head to Toe.
Read more here.
E.J. Smith - Your Survival Guy
Latest posts by E.J. Smith - Your Survival Guy (see all)
- Survive and Thrive June 2023: Your Survival Guy in Rome 30-Years A.B. (After Babson) - June 1, 2023
- Birth Rates in France Worst Since Post-WWII Era - June 1, 2023
- Your Survival Guy Felt Like a U.N. Worker in Rome - May 31, 2023
- Social Security: Declining Italy Needs a Bambino Boom - May 31, 2023
- The Future of the American City is This… - May 30, 2023